The Jojoba tree Jojoba Oil Benefits of Jojoba Oil
The Jojoba tree:
Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis ) is a perennial shrub native to the Sonoran dessert in Norwest Mexico and the surrounding areas (Southwest Arizona and California). It grows in dense stands throughout that region. Jojoba has flat gray-green leathery leaves and a deep root system that make it well adapted to desert heat and drought.
The jojoba tree were known by Native Americans who extracted the oil from jojoba seeds to treat sores and wounds centuries ago.
Jojoba oil is a vegetable oil obtained from the crushed bean of the jojoba shrub (Simmondsia chinenis). Jojoba oil, rather than being an oil, it is actually a polyunsaturated liquid wax, a wonderfully non-greasy lubricant that penetrates the skin easily.
It contains a 60% mixture of wax esters, including fatty acids and alcohols of chain lengths C20 to C26 (eicosenoic and docosenoic acid, eicosenol, docosenol, hexacosenol), nitrile glycosides (simmondsin and cyanomethylene derivatives).
Native Americans have used jojoba for hundreds of years. In the 1700s, the missionary Father Junipero Serra, noted in his diary that the Native Americans were using the oil and the seeds of jojoba: for treating their sores, cuts, bruises, and burns; as a skin conditioner, for soothing windburn and sunburn; as a cooking oil; as a hair or scalp treatment and hair restorative.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil
Since it has an affinity to the skin, and the normal skin lubrication found in the skin (sebum), it is used with great effect in the skin and hair care. Jojoba oil is suitable for all skin types.
Jojoba oil for hair care.
- Jojoba oil easily penetrates the scalp, loosening and dissolving the hardened accumulation of sebum. Many scalp problems originate in the accumulation of sebum, which restricts the proper breathing of the capillary follicles.
- Jojoba oil is an excellent cleaner of sticky byproducts of modern hair products and of air particles that find their way into our scalp.
- Jojoba oil offers the hydration that the hair needs in order to facilitate combing, keeping it soft and shiny.
Jojoba oil for Skin care
- Jojoba penetrates the lipid layer, leaving a soft anddry sensation, slowing down the loss of moisture and improving its flexibility and elasticity.
- Jojoba prevents stretch marks thanks to the elastic effect it provides to the skin. Thanks to jojobas’ curative properties it is appropriate for use after exposing the skin to the sun, reducing inflammation and preventing flaking.